Musical Myopia, Digital Dystopia: New Media and Copyright Reform
March 23, 2007 • 9h - 16h45
Faculté de musique Schulich et Faculté de droit, Université McGill
A unique event that brings to Montreal the most influential and notorious players in the digital media challenge!
On March 23rd McGill University’s Centre for Intellectual Property Policy and the Schulich School of Music are co-hosting an exceptional one-day copyright conference entitled “Musical Myopia, Digital Dystopia: New Media and Copyright Reform”. The workshop will feature panel discussions between top thinkers, policy-makers, representatives from the media industry and artists. The workshop will look at how we regulate digital media, DRM (digital rights management) and the challenges for all parties involved.
Should Canada regulate digital content with technological protection measures or should alternatives be explored? What can we learn from the U.S. experience? What do creators think? What do owners think? Where is Canadian law headed?
Hear thoughts directly from the most influential people involved, including Professor Terry Fisher from Harvard (founder of Noank Media), Bruce Lehman (drafter of the U.S. DMCA), Professor Michael Geist from the University of Ottawa, legendary producer Sandy Pearlman, representatives from the three major Canadian political parties, and prominent artists.
- General admission:$50
- General admission + lunch and cocktail (pre-registration mandatory prior to March 19): $150
- Students/Faculty/McGill Community (upon presentation of identification): free admission, no pre-registration required
8:00 – 9:00 – Registration (Tanna Schulich Hall, Schulich School of Music, 555 Sherbrooke St West)
9:00 – 9:15 – Dean’s welcome (Don McLean, Dean of Music – Nicholas Kasirer, Dean of Law)
9:15 – 10:45 – The digital rights management dilemma (Tanna Schulich Hall, Schulich School of Music, 555 Sherbrooke St West)
- David Lametti, McGill Faculty of Law (confirmed)
- Bruce Lehman, International Intellectual Property Institute
- Ann Chaitovitz, US Patent and Trademark Office
- Michael Geist, University of Ottawa Faculty of Law
- Terry Fisher, Harvard University
10:45 – 11:00 – Break (courtesy of MBM Intellectual Property Law LL.P.)
11:00 – 12:30 – Policy responses and reactions (Tanna Schulich Hall, Schulich School of Music, 555 Sherbrooke St West)
- Sunny Handa, Blakes / McGill Faculty of Law (moderator)
- Charlie Angus, NDP
- Charles Morgan, McCarthy Tétrault
- Sandy Pearlman, McGill Faculty of Music
12:30 – 13:30 – Lunch (courtesy of McCarthy Tétrault LL.P.)
13:30 – 15:30 – Discussion (room 102, Faculty of Law, 3644 Peel St)
- Tina Piper, McGill Faculty of Law (facilitator)
- All Panelists from the morning panels
15:30 – 17:30 – Cocktail
Ouvert à tous
This content has been updated on August 17, 2015 at 23:04.